Monday, July 19, 2010

Drug Laws

I believe in freedom. If that freedom leads to you making bad decisions with your life, so be it. Society will always look ill upon drug abuse. Alcohol is legal, but alcoholism is seen as an ill. If it wasn't for the amount of money that the government makes off of the drug war and the inability to nail down a way to tax drugs (because of the ease of smuggling and home production), they would already be legal. By maintaining their current criminalized status, we do nothing but artificially prop up the price and create an environment of risk that breeds violence. The Netherlands has legalized drugs and it seems to be working out just fine for them.

I want to know what gives any man or government the right to own or control another. To me, each man is his own ruler, and as such should be free to make his own decisions.

The biggest objection I encounter when I present these ideas is that you can not trust people to make their own decisions. Anyone that says that is advocating slavery, plain and simple. It starts with safety and security (warrantless wiretapping, naked body scanners, universal health care). I know where it ends up, as does anyone who has extensively studied eastern european politics. I'm not willing to be a slave and I do not expect anyone else to make that decision for me.

So, that's where I'm coming from. People think it is controversial, but that is typically the way that new ideas are met. I'm a grown man, who can take care of himself and his property. Unlike most, I also believe other people can as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment